Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"Oldman River Coulee" by Julie Duschenes.


January 21 through February 25, 2012, Bowman Arts Centre Main Gallery.
Julie Duschenes' work is inspired by the Oldman River coulees and surrounding landscape.

Opening Reception: Saturday, January 21, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm.

The work in this exhibition is from an extended body of work made in response to the overpowering impression made on me by the coulees at first sight and continuing to this day.

I first visited Lethbridge in 1988 to present two slide lectures at the University of Lethbridge and, after that visit, kept coming back to work. The earliest coulee work in this exhibition was painted in 1993, shortly before I moved to Lethbridge from Vancouver and, over more than two decades, I have continued my attempts to re-embody the coulee.

I find that my most powerful and enduring experiences of the coulee are apprehended in seeing and hearing, and the images I have made are attempts to transcribe this non-verbal knowledge. To this end, I have made images in drawing and printing media, watercolour, acrylic and oil painting and present some of these to you, here.


No comments:

Post a Comment